Thursday 2 April 2020

Coping with Lockdown (Romans 12.1-2)



Well, how are you doing? I think I’m doing OK, but when we entered lock down a couple of weeks ago, I must say I found it very, very difficult to adapt.

I deleted appointment after appointment in my diary. Planned meetings, essential for the smooth running of everything all ground to a halt. Physical contact shuddered to a halt. Every day the guidance from government and church got more draconian. My email inbox was filling up faster than I could empty it. At the same time, there was a rush to try and set up a new pastoral arrangement and get some kind of online worship organised.

It was a really stressful time and after about a week I hit the wall. I had never before felt like I felt at that time. I wondered if it was like a kind of mild depression. I have always enjoyed good mental health so this was completely new territory for me. I don’t know if any of you can relate to this, but with all routine suddenly gone it was a bit paralysing.

About that time, I was sent something that I found very helpful. I’ve adapted it a bit but I thought I’d share it with you here.

It was 20 bullet points to maintain a good balance and look after your mental health.
I’ve broken it down into 5 categories; spiritual, habitual, physical, social and emotional.

Some people think that God is only really interested in spiritual things; prayer, worship, holiness, truth and so on. But God is interested in all of life.

Romans 12.1-2 says, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

These two verses speak of your true and proper worship. When you say the word “worship” some people think of singing songs to God. But in the same breath these verses talk about your body (offer your bodies as a living sacrifice) and your mind (be transformed by the renewing of your mind).

The first category is Spiritual (this is about your relationship with God).
- Keep a structured prayer life. Personally, I’m using the Morning Prayer app and praying over all the prayer requests that appear in the Facebook Group or come to me in other ways. Some of you are joining in online worship with others; Morning Prayer on Zoom or via one of the huge plethora of things that are appearing online. That is fundamental.

The second category is Habitual (this is about your routine). Four things:
- Get up at a set time, shower, shave and dress for the day. (I once got a pair of Darth Vader socks for Christmas – I never wear them for work, only on a day off. Well, even though I’m not seeing anyone, I’m still keeping them for my day off). Which brings me to the second thing.
- Make and keep a workable routine including daily time off and a weekly day off. Diarise set prayer times, Zoom meetings, planned phone calls, time in the garden to cut the grass, shopping trips, housework chores like ironing, window cleaning etc.
- Have a few things each day to look forward to. For me, that would be things like cook a meal from scratch with Kathie, read a chapter of a book, watch a film in the evening.
- Take on a manageable project - write a story, tidy the kitchen cupboards or the garage, weed the borders in the garden,

The third category is Physical (this is about looking after your body). Three things:
- Get proper rest, both leisure and sleep. We need time away from computer screens. Switch off. Take tea breaks. As you go to bed, review the day with God, thank him for his grace and put your life in his hands.
- Eat healthily. If you’ve ever put diesel in a petrol car, you know that cars run better on the right fuel. The human body is the same. A balanced diet with fruit and vegetables, not too much red meat, alcohol or processed food makes you function better.
- Take proper exercise - outside if possible. Some people are doing workouts online or with the TV. For me, a daily walk and a weekly lawn mow (with the size of our garden that’s serious exercise) is a real tonic.

The fourth category is Social (this is about your relationships). Again three things:
- Keep in contact with others – phone is good, but if you know how to use Zoom or FaceTime or Skype it’s so uplifting to see people’s faces.
- Talk to people about how you’re feeling (if you live under the same roof with others - in person, if not, on the phone, or text etc)
- Moderate social media usage. Facebook is a great way to keep up with what’s going on, but it can become an all-consuming, addictive virtual world. Personally, I like to look at it once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once in the evening maximum. 20 minutes a day is enough for me.

The last category is Emotional (this is about your attitude of mind).
- Notice the good things around you: signs of spring in nature, friends, family, - find things to be thankful for. If possible, write them down in a list – there are so many reasons to be grateful
- Think about what you can do, not what you can’t.

I hope that has been helpful.

Finally, the third letter of John begins with a short prayer that shows concern not just for spiritual needs, but physical ones too - and indeed for the whole of life - and I am going to close now with that prayer for you.

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well. Amen.



Brief online talk, 2 April 2020

No comments: