Monday 2 June 2014

From Implausible Fable To Essential Fact (1 Corinthians 15.1-11)


Well, the World Cup starts in a couple of weeks. Anyone excited...? 

That's about three of you...

I watched a programme on TV last night about World Cup mess ups; cringeworthy World Cup songs, rash red cards, terrible haircuts, failures to score open goals and comic goalkeeping errors. Funnily enough, a good number of them involved England; who have of course the worst record in international football for penalty shoot outs.

If anyone can make a mess of a football tournament it seems the England team are up for making history.

What’s the worst mess up that can happen at a baptism? Forgetting to fill the font with water? That’s happened once. Making the baby cry? That’s happened more than once. Getting the baby’s name wrong?

Of course we all mess up don’t we? And that’s sort of what baptism is about. It’s not about making the baby a Christian. Only personal faith in the Lord Jesus can make you a Christian. That’s why parents and godparents make promises to help their child grow up with Christian values and beliefs.

The Bible says “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” So baptism is, in itself, unable to make you a Christian. Only personal faith in the Lord Jesus can do that.

But baptism means that, whenever we mess up, God’s grace is always available to pick us up and clean us up.

Of all the churches the Apostle Paul started, the one at Corinth was the one that messed up the most. He had to write this letter because, in the church he had started there, there were sexual scandals, bizarre beliefs and damaging divisions. And in v12 of our reading he asks them a question which tells you a lot. “How can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?”

That’s a bit like saying to a football referee “What do you mean we should get rid of goalposts?” “Jesus rising again? Not sure we need to believe that…”

Yes we do! “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”

The reading we had describes it as being of first importance. In other words, it’s at the very top of the list of absolutely essential things. It spells out what is at stake. “By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.”

In other words, if you let the resurrection go, you’ve lost everything. So he says “Look, I need to remind you of what I said to you before. You received it, you took a stand on it, remember?”…

And this is totally non-negotiable. “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures. He was buried and raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.”

A friend of mine, who is a retired minister now, once told me about an old parishioner of his who was lamenting all the changes and innovations being introduced in church, “I don’t know,” he said, “if Jesus could see all this, he’d turn in his grave!” That’s the point. He’s not in his grave!

And then we get a list of names of people who saw Jesus after he was raised. There’s Peter, then the rest of the twelve, there’s James, then Paul.

Someone might say, “But what these so-called eye witnesses invented it?” Let’s say that they did make the story up. You then have to explain why at least ten of the twelve men were persecuted, tried and executed for spreading the story of Christ’s resurrection and refusing to deny it.

Would you accept heavy fines, a prison sentence and capital punishment just to cover up a story you knew was false? Wouldn’t at least one of the disciples have caved in when the heat was on and say, “Actually, we made this up. We hid the body 300 yards away.”

Perhaps they were just honestly mistaken? What if they just made a mistake and there is a simple explanation for this apparent extraordinary miracle? What if, for example, the authorities moved the body and didn’t tell anyone?

The people arrive at the tomb on Easter Sunday, find it empty, and wrongly conclude that Jesus must have risen. But that doesn’t work because history records that the authorities were desperate to stop the public commotion about the resurrection because it was causing riots. They could have easily stopped it by producing Jesus’ dead body – but they never did. 

And how do you explain what Paul says in our reading? “After that, Jesus appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still alive today.”

If I said to you that my Uncle Reg really existed, you might or might not believe me. I could show you a photograph of him, but you might say that could be a picture of anyone.

If I said to you that I know a handful of people who knew him, you could say that I might have set them up to deceive you.

But if I told you that I could call on five hundred people who knew him, who spoke with him, who ate and drank with him, who worked with him on his farm and that you can meet them if you want, you would probably accept that my Uncle Reg was a real person.

But that’s what Paul is saying here. “Shortly after his death and burial, Jesus appeared alive to over 500 people at the same time. If you don’t believe me (Paul says) and if you don’t trust the apostles, O.K. Go and check it out then with someone else who saw him with their own eyes. You can choose any one of five hundred plus people. Take your pick. They’ll tell you that this is no hoax.”

So Paul begins this chapter on the resurrection by saying how important it is and by showing how convincing it is. The ancient Scriptures predicted Jesus would die and rise again. He was seen alive after his burial by many witnesses. Lives were changed.

And nearly two millennia later, lives are still being changed. The reality of Christ’s resurrection is being discovered and experienced every day, all over the Earth.

In the Sun newspaper in April there was an article about a man called Shane Taylor. For many years, Shane was considered to be one of the most dangerous men in Britain’s prisons. Originally jailed for attempted murder, he had his sentence extended by four years when he attacked a prison officer with a broken glass in an incident that provoked a prison riot.

After that, Shane was sent to some of Britain’s most secure prisons, where he was often held in solitary confinement because of his violence towards prison officers.

But when he was in Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight, he went on the prison Alpha Course (which is a Christianity discovery course). Shane said “I was mostly interested in getting the free chocolate biscuits.”

One day, the chaplain picked up a Bible and opened up a few verses where it said ‘Jesus Christ died on a cross for you. He died for your sins and you can be forgiven.’

Shane prayed for the first time. “Jesus Christ, I know you died on a cross for me. Please, I don’t like who I am, please forgive me.”

This is Shane’s testimony; “As I talked I had a weird feeling in my belly. Then I started to feel this bubbly feeling slowly coming up my body – through my legs, my chest. When it got to about halfway I started to feel tears coming into my eyes. I tried to hold it back. I stopped talking, thinking that was going to stop it. Here I was, a hard man in prison – I didn’t want to cry. But it rose up and up and up until suddenly I began to sob. I hadn’t cried in years. I could feel a weight being lifted off me because I felt light.”

And Shane says this: “Everything suddenly became clearer than before. I knew it was real. I knew God existed, I knew Jesus was alive and that I was going to live for him forever. My behaviour changed so much that I went from being in the segregation to getting a trusted job in the prison within a few weeks.”

Almost exactly a year after the day that changed his life, he was freed. About seven months later he met Samantha. They got married in 2008 at South Bank Baptist Church, here on Teesside and have four lovely children.

“Jesus has changed my life” Shane says. “Before, I was a man of pure hate and anger. Jesus has showed me how to love and how to forgive. Almost all the people I’ve upset, all the people I stabbed, all the people I hurt, have forgiven me and now we can talk.”

Open your heart to Jesus and experience his grave-busting power for yourself. Jesus is alive today. He brings real forgiveness today, true freedom, deep healing today, new life, fresh hope and a bright future today to all who come to him in faith.

“If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”


Sermon preached at Saint Mary's Long Newton, 1st June 2014


No comments: