Introduction
Today, we’re moving on from Joseph (who showed us how to be a hero of faith when we are wronged). And we’re going to spend three weeks with Moses (who shows us how to be a hero of faith when we are leading).Many of us are leaders in some capacity or aspire to be; leaders in children’s or youth work, life group leaders, worship leaders, leaders in the workplace, in the home, in the community, practical leaders. I could go on.
But if you don't see yourself as a leader, please don’t switch off, because God wants you to know how to support and pray for your leaders. So this is relevant for everyone here.
And, who knows, God might call you to some kind of unexpected leadership role out of the blue. You might say, “no chance” but, in fact, this is exactly what happens to Moses in today’s Bible story, as we’ll see.
Let’s start by setting the context. For four centuries following the days of Joseph, the Israelites have settled as a foreign community in Egypt.
Moses is born at a time when his people are being oppressed, actually worse than that; exterminated.
Because a new pharaoh comes to power who sees the Israelite community as a threat to national security, so he subjects them to harsh labour. When, to his dismay, their population continues to grow, he introduces a programme of infanticide to bring theirnumbers under control. All male babies are to be killed which, you’ll remember, happened at the time Jesus was born too, with king Herod.
But the Bible describes Moses as ‘no ordinary child’ (Acts 7.20). He survives because he has God-fearing parents who risk their lives by hiding him away.
Pharaoh’s daughter finds baby Moses in a floating basket hidden in the reeds by the riverbank and her heart melts, so she adopts him. And although Moses still has contact with his biological parents, (Exodus 2 explains all that) he grows up with the education and values of Egypt’s affluent upper class. He gets a reputation for being mighty in word and deed and turns out to be a very impressive young man.
If you have godly parents, like Moses did, you may not realise how blessed you are. You have, in so many ways, the best possible start in life. But even if you grew up in a Christian home, there comes a time when you have to decide for yourself whether you personally embrace what your parents believe or not.
Jesus says, “Come, follow me.” You either reject your parents’ faith, or you accept it. Moses faces the same decision. Will I be a prince in Egypt or will I leave all that behind and identify with my parents’ despised people? When he reaches adulthood, Mosesmakes his choice. He says ‘no’ to the prestige and luxury of the royal palace.
If you want to be a hero of faith you have to learn to say no. You have to refuse every wrong pathway, every wrong idea. Job, you’ll remember, refused to curse God and die. Joseph refused to go to bed with Potiphar’s wife or even be with her. And the Bible says, “Moses refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.” What compromise, is God challenging you to refuse? And are you going to do it?
Some people are natural leaders. Other people have to grow into it. Moses is a born leader. But God is always looking for the right sort of leader.
In 1993, our then prime minister John Major, following some moral scandals in his political party, said, “we’ve got to restore people’s faith in leadership integrity and go back-to-basics.” How did that go?
In the next four years, six of his ministers were caught having adulterous affairs, three were found to have taken bribes, and one was jailed for lying under oath. Major’s party was dumped out of office in a landslide election defeat. People will not follow leaders who don’t practice what they preach, and can you blame them?
In 1 Timothy 3, it gives a list of qualities expected of local church leaders. They should be, amongst other things, “above reproach, temperate, maritally faithful, self-controlled, not overbearing, not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient, not quick-tempered, not violent but gentle…”
But as a young adult, Moses isn’t like that at all. He’s pretty volatile and rather full of himself. When he sees an Egyptian bullying a Hebrew slave, he takes matters into his own hands and kills him. What does the Bible say again? "Not quick-tempered, not violent but gentle."
And instead of being admired by his own people for leaping to their defence, they turn against him: “Who made you ruler over us?” they say. Moses’ overbearing, hot-headed character is a turn-off. It all gets a bit too much for Moses, so he runs away to the Sinai desert and starts a new life with a new identity as a shepherd.
God has a plan to liberate his enslaved people to reveal his glory to the ends of the earth, so that people of every tribe and nation and language might be blessed.
But if Moses is going to lead this movement as God intends, he’s going to have to change. A lot. God is going to need to shape Moses to be the right sort of leader. And this is where we pick up the story, in Exodus chapter 3.
Prayer…
Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, ‘I will go over and see this strange sight – why the bush does not burn up.’ When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, ‘Moses! Moses!’ And Moses said, ‘Here I am.’
‘Do not come any closer,’ God said. ‘Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.’ Then he said, ‘I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.’ At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God. The Lord said, ‘I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering.
So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey – the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.’ But Moses said to God, ‘Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?’
And God said, ‘I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.’ Moses said to God, ‘Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, “The God of your fathers has sent me to you,” and they ask me, “What is his name?” Then what shall I tell them?’ God said to Moses, ‘I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: “I am has sent me to you.”’
God also said to Moses, ‘Say to the Israelites, “The Lord, the God of your fathers – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob – has sent me to you.”
‘This is my name for ever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation.
God’s school of leadership
It’s not immediately clear from this passage how long Moses has spent in the desert looking after sheep. Maybe a couple of years? But in Acts 7 it tells us. “Moses fled to Midian, where he settled as a foreigner...” And then this; “After forty years had passed, an angel appeared to Moses in the flames of a burning bush.” So there’s your answer; forty years.
Forty years ago it was 1986. That was the year of the space shuttle Challenger disaster, the Chernobyl nuclear power plant meltdown and the infamous, cheating ‘hand of God’ goal by Diego Maradonna. Three truly disastrous events in world history! It was ages ago.
That’s the span of time Moses has spent in this desert. From growing up in a palace, he’s run away in disgrace and become a shepherd, who are held in contempt by the Egyptians. He’s now an outcast, a nobody. His self-confidence has all but drained away.
Why has God let Moses waste away all this time, looking after dumb animals in the Sinai desert? Why has God waited so long?
Alec Motyer in his commentary on Exodus answers that question with these words; “This [passage of time] does not indicate any delaying or dithering on God’s part. [God] wanted a shepherd for his people, so his chosen man had to learn how to look after someone else’s sheep… He had to learn the lesson of being faithful in the ordinary humdrum routine of everyday life.”
Moses has to learn in the desert that if he’s ever going to be a somebody for God, he has firstly to accept being a nobody for as long as it takes.
If you sense a stirring for some kind of leadership role, remember the words of Jesus; “Whoever can be trusted with very little will also be entrusted with much.”
Are you prepared to learn patiently and wait for God’s timing and be devoted in all the small details; to consistently turn up on time, to keep your promises, to serve cheerfully without complaining, to never be above menial work, to be reliable, to honour your commitments, to make sure your ‘yes’ is 100% ‘yes’ and your ‘no’ is always ‘no’? This is God’s leadership school curriculum.
People tend to like leaders with charisma, with magnetic appeal. We want our Christian leaders to be anointed. There’s no question that anointing will propel you to leadership prominence, but only those with mature character are still going to be theredecades later.
Burning bush – guidance
A bush fire in a place like the Sinai desert is not a particularly unusual sight. The dry, hot summer we have experienced in the UK this year has given rise to wildfires, as we know, even in Scotland. Moses will have seen burning bushes before. What draws his attention and stirs his curiosity in v3 is that, strangely, this one doesn’t burn up.
God speaks to us in many unusual ways. In the Bible, God speaks in visions, pictures, prophecies, an inner voice, an audible voice, dreams, angels, baskets of ripe fruit, plumblines, unusual cloud formations… Hebrews 1 says that God has spoken at many times and in various ways.
Tim Matthews was a leader in a London church called Saint Paul’s and he was praying about possibly planting a new church in a redundant old building called Saint Swithun’s in Bournemouth. But it was a huge wrench to leave, so he asked God to speak and give him a sign. That day, as he turned off a motorway, his car sat-nav said to him, “Leave St. Paul’s Road and head straight south onto St. Swithun’s Road!”
It’s great when God’s guidance seems clear to us. But what about when we’re not sure whether something is from God or not? Do we disregard it or do we investigate it? Moses sees this strange sight and in faith, in openness to God, he decides to pursue it. Are you open to God speaking to you? Some of you might see a door ajar before you. Is this the moment to push the door and see what happens?
Burning bush – holiness
As Moses approaches in v4, God calls him by name and warns him. “Do not come any closer. Take off your sandals, for the place you are standing on is holy ground.”
Listen; God wants to walk with us as a friend. Jesus said to his disciples, “I have called you friends.” And in fact, Moses is one of the few people in the Bible who is called a friend of God. Don’t let the awe-inspiring greatness of God frighten you away from friendship with him.
But don’t allow your friendship with God to belittle your sense of his awesome power and authority either. Moses, here, hides his face because he dare not behold the face of God casually.
Do you have an awareness of the greatness and the glory and the majesty of God when you worship? Do you come into the presence of God gratefully and reverently, or nonchalantly and frivolously? God graciously invites you into his royal throne room. This is not a time to check out social media notifications on your phone.
Our society rightly holds in contempt a shallow church that has no fear of the Lord. Charles Spurgeon said, “I believe that one reason why the Church of God, at this present moment has so little influence over the world is because the world has so much influence over the church.” And that was in the 1800s!
Burning bush – calling
This burning bush is not just a display of God’s holiness. It’s about calling and commission. God says in v7-10, that the misery of his enslaved people has stirred up his compassion.
This is the very first time in the Bible that God calls this particular ethnic line, descended from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob “my people.” He says he plans to bring them out of captivity into a good and spacious land, flowing with milk and honey. And Moses is the man who has been chosen to lead that mission.
It’s so important for us to understand that Christian leadership is not a career option. It’s not, “I’m not really practical so I’d be no good as a plumber or a taxi driver. I’m not brilliant with computers either and I’m a rubbish organiser. I know, I’ll go into the ministry. Surely the church won’t be too picky.”
No, no. Jesus says, “You didn’t choose me. I chose you.” It’s not about your career options. God says here, “There’s a problem here, Moses. And I’ve decided that you’re going to fix it. Let’s go. I’m sending you.”
Christian leadership is not about having the right academic qualifications, though study may be useful and we don’t despise it at all. But Moses isn’t the Reverend Archbishop Moses, Doctor in Theology. He’s just Moses and that’s enough because God calls, commissions and equips.
Burning bush - excuses
But at this point, v11, Moses goes from being too headstrong to being too hesitant. He goes from being impulsive (killing an Egyptian) to being indecisive (making excuses). Both extremes lead to disaster.
Over the next chapter and a half, Moses makes five excuses about how ill-suited he is for the task. He’s right. He is ill-suited for the task! Moses’ forty years in the desert have burned away his pretensions and ego.
In Exodus 4 Moses is going to protest that he is insecure, inarticulate and inadequate. But in chapter 3, he begins his excuses by saying he is insignificant and ignorant.
Verse 11; “Who am I that I should go to pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt? In other words, “I’m insignificant.”
The Bible tells us that people often give this kind of response when God calls them. Gideon said he was the least in his father’s house, and his father’s house wasn't all that either. Saul went off and hid himself behind a pile of luggage. Isaiah said his lips were unclean. Jeremiah said he was far too young. Peter said, “No, go away, I'm a sinful man.”
Moses says, “I’m just a nobody with a dead-end job in the middle of nowhere. No one’s going to listen to me.”
And God says, “Yes, but I will be with you.” In other words, on your own Moses, no one will take you seriously. Fair point. But you will have me on your side. That changes everything. Go! I am sending you.”
So Moses comes up with another excuse in v13. Ignorance. The Egyptians had many gods with many different names. If his own people, who have so far rejected him, ask him which god he represents, Moses would be lost for words. Out of his depth. Hedoesn’t even know the basics, like God’s name.
Burning bush - revelation
And so God discloses his mysterious name. I AM who I AM.
His name describes his eternal power and his unchangeable nature.
- God ever-present, ever-active, ever-living. I AM who I AM.
- Always wise, always true, always good. I AM who I AM.
- All-powerful, all-knowing, all-satisfying. I AM who I AM.
- Uncreated, unerring, unlimited. I AM who I AM.
- Father, Son and Holy Spirit; creator, redeemer and sustainer. One God in three persons. I AM who I AM.
We live in a world where morals and standards and culture and values and laws all fluctuate constantly. What are they going to come up with next? But God never changes. His light never dims. His love never fades. His word never fails.
He is who he is; the same yesterday, today and forever. It’s why Jesus, the eternal and glorious Son of God, fully God and fully man can say, “Before Abraham was born, I am.”
Ending
As we come to share communion, God calls each one of us by name, just as he did to Moses. “Moses, Moses…”
Jesus said, “this is my body, this is my blood, do this in remembrance of me.” So now, we remember his sufferings; the hatred he faced, the mockery he endured, the nails, the crown of thorns; all for us. The Lord’s table, just like that burning bush, is holy ground.
Just as that shrub was aflame, and yet didn’t burn up, so the Lord’s all-sufficient grace endures for ever. Lamentations 3.22 says, “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed.”
The Bible says, before you eat and drink, examine yourselves. We’re not going to remove our shoes, but we are going to put off all resistance to his word, all defiance of his will as we let the Holy Spirit search our hearts.
But whereas God, under the old covenant said to Moses, “Do not come any closer,” under the new covenant we are invited to approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, because Jesus has made a way.
Sermon preached at King's Church Darlington, 30 August 2026
God has a plan to liberate his enslaved people to reveal his glory to the ends of the earth, so that people of every tribe and nation and language might be blessed.
But if Moses is going to lead this movement as God intends, he’s going to have to change. A lot. God is going to need to shape Moses to be the right sort of leader. And this is where we pick up the story, in Exodus chapter 3.
Prayer…
Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, ‘I will go over and see this strange sight – why the bush does not burn up.’ When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, ‘Moses! Moses!’ And Moses said, ‘Here I am.’
‘Do not come any closer,’ God said. ‘Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.’ Then he said, ‘I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.’ At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God. The Lord said, ‘I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering.
So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey – the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.’ But Moses said to God, ‘Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?’
And God said, ‘I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.’ Moses said to God, ‘Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, “The God of your fathers has sent me to you,” and they ask me, “What is his name?” Then what shall I tell them?’ God said to Moses, ‘I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: “I am has sent me to you.”’
God also said to Moses, ‘Say to the Israelites, “The Lord, the God of your fathers – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob – has sent me to you.”
‘This is my name for ever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation.
God’s school of leadership
It’s not immediately clear from this passage how long Moses has spent in the desert looking after sheep. Maybe a couple of years? But in Acts 7 it tells us. “Moses fled to Midian, where he settled as a foreigner...” And then this; “After forty years had passed, an angel appeared to Moses in the flames of a burning bush.” So there’s your answer; forty years.
Forty years ago it was 1986. That was the year of the space shuttle Challenger disaster, the Chernobyl nuclear power plant meltdown and the infamous, cheating ‘hand of God’ goal by Diego Maradonna. Three truly disastrous events in world history! It was ages ago.
That’s the span of time Moses has spent in this desert. From growing up in a palace, he’s run away in disgrace and become a shepherd, who are held in contempt by the Egyptians. He’s now an outcast, a nobody. His self-confidence has all but drained away.
Why has God let Moses waste away all this time, looking after dumb animals in the Sinai desert? Why has God waited so long?
Alec Motyer in his commentary on Exodus answers that question with these words; “This [passage of time] does not indicate any delaying or dithering on God’s part. [God] wanted a shepherd for his people, so his chosen man had to learn how to look after someone else’s sheep… He had to learn the lesson of being faithful in the ordinary humdrum routine of everyday life.”
Moses has to learn in the desert that if he’s ever going to be a somebody for God, he has firstly to accept being a nobody for as long as it takes.
If you sense a stirring for some kind of leadership role, remember the words of Jesus; “Whoever can be trusted with very little will also be entrusted with much.”
Are you prepared to learn patiently and wait for God’s timing and be devoted in all the small details; to consistently turn up on time, to keep your promises, to serve cheerfully without complaining, to never be above menial work, to be reliable, to honour your commitments, to make sure your ‘yes’ is 100% ‘yes’ and your ‘no’ is always ‘no’? This is God’s leadership school curriculum.
People tend to like leaders with charisma, with magnetic appeal. We want our Christian leaders to be anointed. There’s no question that anointing will propel you to leadership prominence, but only those with mature character are still going to be theredecades later.
Burning bush – guidance
A bush fire in a place like the Sinai desert is not a particularly unusual sight. The dry, hot summer we have experienced in the UK this year has given rise to wildfires, as we know, even in Scotland. Moses will have seen burning bushes before. What draws his attention and stirs his curiosity in v3 is that, strangely, this one doesn’t burn up.
God speaks to us in many unusual ways. In the Bible, God speaks in visions, pictures, prophecies, an inner voice, an audible voice, dreams, angels, baskets of ripe fruit, plumblines, unusual cloud formations… Hebrews 1 says that God has spoken at many times and in various ways.
Tim Matthews was a leader in a London church called Saint Paul’s and he was praying about possibly planting a new church in a redundant old building called Saint Swithun’s in Bournemouth. But it was a huge wrench to leave, so he asked God to speak and give him a sign. That day, as he turned off a motorway, his car sat-nav said to him, “Leave St. Paul’s Road and head straight south onto St. Swithun’s Road!”
It’s great when God’s guidance seems clear to us. But what about when we’re not sure whether something is from God or not? Do we disregard it or do we investigate it? Moses sees this strange sight and in faith, in openness to God, he decides to pursue it. Are you open to God speaking to you? Some of you might see a door ajar before you. Is this the moment to push the door and see what happens?
Burning bush – holiness
As Moses approaches in v4, God calls him by name and warns him. “Do not come any closer. Take off your sandals, for the place you are standing on is holy ground.”
Listen; God wants to walk with us as a friend. Jesus said to his disciples, “I have called you friends.” And in fact, Moses is one of the few people in the Bible who is called a friend of God. Don’t let the awe-inspiring greatness of God frighten you away from friendship with him.
But don’t allow your friendship with God to belittle your sense of his awesome power and authority either. Moses, here, hides his face because he dare not behold the face of God casually.
Do you have an awareness of the greatness and the glory and the majesty of God when you worship? Do you come into the presence of God gratefully and reverently, or nonchalantly and frivolously? God graciously invites you into his royal throne room. This is not a time to check out social media notifications on your phone.
Our society rightly holds in contempt a shallow church that has no fear of the Lord. Charles Spurgeon said, “I believe that one reason why the Church of God, at this present moment has so little influence over the world is because the world has so much influence over the church.” And that was in the 1800s!
Burning bush – calling
This burning bush is not just a display of God’s holiness. It’s about calling and commission. God says in v7-10, that the misery of his enslaved people has stirred up his compassion.
This is the very first time in the Bible that God calls this particular ethnic line, descended from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob “my people.” He says he plans to bring them out of captivity into a good and spacious land, flowing with milk and honey. And Moses is the man who has been chosen to lead that mission.
It’s so important for us to understand that Christian leadership is not a career option. It’s not, “I’m not really practical so I’d be no good as a plumber or a taxi driver. I’m not brilliant with computers either and I’m a rubbish organiser. I know, I’ll go into the ministry. Surely the church won’t be too picky.”
No, no. Jesus says, “You didn’t choose me. I chose you.” It’s not about your career options. God says here, “There’s a problem here, Moses. And I’ve decided that you’re going to fix it. Let’s go. I’m sending you.”
Christian leadership is not about having the right academic qualifications, though study may be useful and we don’t despise it at all. But Moses isn’t the Reverend Archbishop Moses, Doctor in Theology. He’s just Moses and that’s enough because God calls, commissions and equips.
Burning bush - excuses
But at this point, v11, Moses goes from being too headstrong to being too hesitant. He goes from being impulsive (killing an Egyptian) to being indecisive (making excuses). Both extremes lead to disaster.
Over the next chapter and a half, Moses makes five excuses about how ill-suited he is for the task. He’s right. He is ill-suited for the task! Moses’ forty years in the desert have burned away his pretensions and ego.
In Exodus 4 Moses is going to protest that he is insecure, inarticulate and inadequate. But in chapter 3, he begins his excuses by saying he is insignificant and ignorant.
Verse 11; “Who am I that I should go to pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt? In other words, “I’m insignificant.”
The Bible tells us that people often give this kind of response when God calls them. Gideon said he was the least in his father’s house, and his father’s house wasn't all that either. Saul went off and hid himself behind a pile of luggage. Isaiah said his lips were unclean. Jeremiah said he was far too young. Peter said, “No, go away, I'm a sinful man.”
Moses says, “I’m just a nobody with a dead-end job in the middle of nowhere. No one’s going to listen to me.”
And God says, “Yes, but I will be with you.” In other words, on your own Moses, no one will take you seriously. Fair point. But you will have me on your side. That changes everything. Go! I am sending you.”
So Moses comes up with another excuse in v13. Ignorance. The Egyptians had many gods with many different names. If his own people, who have so far rejected him, ask him which god he represents, Moses would be lost for words. Out of his depth. Hedoesn’t even know the basics, like God’s name.
Burning bush - revelation
And so God discloses his mysterious name. I AM who I AM.
His name describes his eternal power and his unchangeable nature.
- God ever-present, ever-active, ever-living. I AM who I AM.
- Always wise, always true, always good. I AM who I AM.
- All-powerful, all-knowing, all-satisfying. I AM who I AM.
- Uncreated, unerring, unlimited. I AM who I AM.
- Father, Son and Holy Spirit; creator, redeemer and sustainer. One God in three persons. I AM who I AM.
We live in a world where morals and standards and culture and values and laws all fluctuate constantly. What are they going to come up with next? But God never changes. His light never dims. His love never fades. His word never fails.
He is who he is; the same yesterday, today and forever. It’s why Jesus, the eternal and glorious Son of God, fully God and fully man can say, “Before Abraham was born, I am.”
Ending
As we come to share communion, God calls each one of us by name, just as he did to Moses. “Moses, Moses…”
Jesus said, “this is my body, this is my blood, do this in remembrance of me.” So now, we remember his sufferings; the hatred he faced, the mockery he endured, the nails, the crown of thorns; all for us. The Lord’s table, just like that burning bush, is holy ground.
Just as that shrub was aflame, and yet didn’t burn up, so the Lord’s all-sufficient grace endures for ever. Lamentations 3.22 says, “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed.”
The Bible says, before you eat and drink, examine yourselves. We’re not going to remove our shoes, but we are going to put off all resistance to his word, all defiance of his will as we let the Holy Spirit search our hearts.
But whereas God, under the old covenant said to Moses, “Do not come any closer,” under the new covenant we are invited to approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, because Jesus has made a way.
Sermon preached at King's Church Darlington, 30 August 2026
No comments:
Post a Comment